Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Jolly Good

Jolly Good! A classic British phrase, one that I've heard about 10 times today and it's only 1 in the afternoon. But everything in London really is jolly good (at least for me it is)! I've been here for exactly a week now and just started classes. Yes, much to my dismay, I do have to go to school while I'm here. But with classes only meeting once a week and with no class on Thursday or Friday, I think I'll manage..

Before the dreaded start of classes, I got to experience my first weekend here in London, and I think I made the most of it. I found myself at a few different pubs both Thursday and Friday (attending local pubs is quickly becoming routine here) and then finally made my way to some classic London tourist spots on Saturday. With a late start and some guess and check tactics on the tube, a group of girls and I finally made our way to Portobello Street Market in Notting Hill. Capturing my inner Julia Roberts (and on the look out for my Hugh Grant), we weaved through the busy market full of clothes, antiques, shoes, and food. Much to my mom's surprise I'm sure, I didn't buy a single thing; however, anyone who knows me well knows that I'll be at every market in London before April and will come home with a completely new wardrobe. I'm just easing my way into it. Notting Hill was beautiful, but I still didn't feel like I'd had my "oh my god, I'm in London" moment yet. We made our way to our next stop and there it was... my moment. Yes, I'm being dramatic, but we turned the corner and before my eyes was the beautifully lit London Eye, sitting on the river, with Big Ben just in the distance. Yes, I teared up for a second, but that definitely isn't out of character for myself. It really was incredible though, even if you aren't a "happy tears" kind of person. We took a ride on the Eye and got to see the city at night from way up high. It really was breath taking and it finally hit me how lucky I am to be in such an amazing city.

Sunday I spent the day in Oxford. If I had been here completely on my own, I don't know that I would have thought to spend a day in Oxford (I should probably start reading all those guidebooks I bought), but I'm so happy I tagged along that day. Oxford is absolutely stunning, with giant and ornate buildings and castles and amazing views. I felt like I was in Disney World or something, it didn't even seem real. And people get to live here?? We walked around all day marveling at the architecture, recreating Harry Potter scenes in our heads, and pretending to be super smart (at least that's what I did). By the time we got home, I was absolutely spent, but had just enough energy to start planning my first European trips. Paris and skiing in the Swiss Alps are in the works! You've probably had enough of me by now...

Much love from London!
Bridget

No comments:

Post a Comment